trying to achieve perfection with less than stellar results


Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Soft Heart For Big Baby


Disclaimer: This contains some spoilers!

Yesterday the kids and I watched Toy Story 3. It was a great way to wrap up the series.

The overall message was different for me as a mother than it was for my kids. It made me think how in 10 years Andrew will be going off to college. Or at the very least leaving this home for a "real life". It made me sad. The movie made me think of how we have been collecting these toys since each one of them was born and thrown away or donated so many toys. There will come a day when they won't look twice at them. Pretty soon their rooms will be covered in posters of what I will only be able to say at that point is "really, boys?? ugh". For the boys I am sure it will be of girls in bikinis or the Sports Illustrated cover. For Annabelle I can only hope it's Marky Mark in his Calvin Kleins.

Andrew and Annabelle could have cared less about the "story". Nathan on the other hand..... Has a soft heart for Big Baby.

After Lots-O-Hugs Bear, Big Baby and the clown were lost by their owner Daisy, LotsO turned evil and started his dictatorship. Toward the end of the movie LotsO ripped the "My Heart Belongs to Daisy" necklace off Big Baby's neck and smashed it. Telling Big Baby Daisy never loved him and replaced him. Blah blah blah about the story.... It all turned out well in the end. Ken & Barbie rule Sunnyside Daycare and Barbie takes care of Big Baby.

Everything was fine until Nathan was done brushing his teeth and I was tucking him into bed. He threw himself on the bed and started sobbing. Like whole body shaking, sobbing. After a few minutes of trying to figure out what was wrong it's cause LotsO broke Big Baby's necklace and Big Baby was crying. Nathan feels so sad for Big Baby. I explained everything was okay. Barbie takes care of Big Baby now. LotsO isn't a nice bear and is now stuck on the front of a dump truck. He just can't take it. He cried for half an hour.

It made me smile on the inside. My rough and tumble big boy has such a soft heart for those who can't do for themselves. He actually cares about others. And for anyone that knows him knows that he isn't always warm and fuzzy. And it gives me hope that I am not completely failing at raising a good hearted child.

No comments:

Post a Comment